Traditional upholstery is a centuries-old craft, preserving furniture’s beauty and longevity. Skilled artisans employ natural materials like horsehair, cotton, and springs, meticulously layering them beneath elegant fabrics. Hand-stitching and precision techniques ensure tailored, durable, and comfortable seating. This timeless artistry upholds heritage and craftsmanship in the world of furniture. This 2 day course will give you a snapshot of the techniques and materials used in traditional upholstery.
Modern upholstery embraces innovation and contemporary aesthetics. It utilises materials like foam and synthetic fabrics. Minimalistic lines and sleek designs are prominent, with an emphasis on modularity and sustainability. Technology aids precision, resulting in ergonomic and visually striking furniture pieces. See how innovation is making modern upholstery more sustainable and fit for purpose in the 3rd millennia.
Embarking on the journey of upholstery can be daunting, but our introductory classes aim to demystify the craft. You’ll discover the essential tools, materials, and techniques employed by enthusiasts. These sessions serve as a solid foundation, helping you discern ideal projects and honing your skills with expert guidance. They pave the way for advancing to our flexible Friday Buffet classes, where you can pick and choose specific skills to master. Whether you’re a novice or an aspiring upholstery artist, these courses provide a crucial starting point on your creative path.
Two 1 day classes held on consecutive weeks.
- Get recommendations on tools and step by step guides without feeling like you have fallen into a sales funnel.
- Be introduced to materials and techniques to help you explore your areas of interest within the wider craft.
- Get hands on experience producing samples of upholstery through set exercises.
- Introduction to sewing on our easy to use industrial sewing machines
- Advice given on what your first projects should be
- Learn to plan out your first project from start to finish
- Get help with sourcing materials
- Develop a wider understanding fabrics and what is appropriate.
- Have the confidence in the skills you have learned and plan where to take them next.
Class hours 10 am – 5 pm
Maximum class size 6 participants